For this month’s business resource, this morning I have been playing with NewPad, and whilst you are not going to be able to produce any heart stopping presentations, it does perform as advertised in providing you with simple word processing and document formatting abilities on your iPad.
It is so simple that it is totally intuitive and 2 minutes after downloading the App to my ancient first edition iPad, I had created a document by copying and pasting NewPad’s own write up and emailed it to my computer as a document to help create this post.[divider top=”0″]
NewPad is a simple free rich-text word processor for everyone. It allows you to use your iPad to write simple documents, take notes, etc.
Text can be marked with styles, like bold and italic, for greater visual variety! No more boring documents!
NewPad uses HTML 5 as internal document format, so it is compatible with wide variety of other software, which supports HTML.
Reading and writing documents
- Press Documents button to see a list of your documents. List of documents is sorted in last-opened order, with most recent document on the top. The list also shows when each document was created. Tap the document name to view it.
- Tap anywhere in the document to bring up the on-screen keyboard for editing. Use cursor keys or flick left or right to move the cursor.
- While the keyboard is displayed, you can use the Format menu to set the format of the current block. It is not necessary to select the entire block to change the format.
Creating, deleting and renaming documents
- In the documents menu, press the + button to create a new document.
- Delete documents by dragging left on the document entry in the documents menu. Red delete button will appear. Tap to delete.
- Tap document title in the top toolbar to rename currently displayed document.
Printing and emailing documents
- Press the action button to open the action menu. From the action menu you can choose to email or print currently open document.
- Note that your iPad must be configured to send mail for mail function to work.
- Printing requires AirPrint-enabled printer.
NewPad Plus for $1.99 adds some additional features:
1. Link your documents to Dropbox.
2. Text color highlighting.
3. Text Justification.
4. Document Zoom.
5. Word and character count.
Did you know oaSES Online tutoring data management software has an iPad/iPhone App? Tutors can enter Student Attendance and Student Session Notes, from the classroom or on the go. Contact Us for a personal online demonstration of the oaSES system or to ask any questions you may have about how oaSES can help streamline your tutoring business.[divider top=”1″]